This article will demonstrate how to reset the admin password for Polycom phones to the default.
Locate the MAC address of the phone. This will typically be located on the back of the phone, on a barcode, and start with "0004". Write the MAC address down, it will be utilized in future steps.
Powercycle the phone by unplugging the power/ethernet cable. If prompted with a boot sequence, press Cancel.
During the autoboot sequence, press and hold the following depending on the model:
- SoundPoint IP 320, 321, 330. 331, 335, 430, and 450, SoundStation IP 5000 and 7000 and Soundstation Duo: press and hold the 1, 3, 5, and 7 keys
- For SoundPoint IP 301, 501, 550, 600, 601, and 650 and VVX 1500: press and hold the 4, 6, 8, * keys
- For SoundStation IP 6000: 6, 8 and * dial pad keys
- For VVX 300, 310, 400, 410, 500, and 600: press and hold the dial pad keys 1, 3, 5 keys
After holding the buttons for a few seconds, a password prompt will appear. Enter the previously noted MAC address (not case sensitive) and press Ok.
There are two typing modes on VVX models:
- The third button from the right will be labeled 1->Aa (one, arrow, capital A, lowercase A).
- The first character is the current keypad output. Therefore, in this mode, numbers will be entered from pressing the corresponding dial keys.
- Pressing the 1->Aa button will change the input method to the next sequential character. In this case, one press of this button will change the Keypad output to ‘capital letters’ (A->a1).
- Each press of the key will enter the letter assigned to that specific key. For example, to produce an “F”, the 3-key would need to be pressed three-times. To produce a “T”, the 8-key must be press only once.
Allow the phone to boot normally. The administrator password will now be "456".